[Samba] Strange behavior with file/directory permissions.

Eric Michaelis combinare at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:06:55 GMT 2005

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>>        inherit permissions = Yes
>>

>What happens if you remove this?

If I remove the "inherit permissions" parameter, newly-created files and
directories have the permissions specified by "create mask" and
"directory mask," respectively. This is as I expected. With "inherit
permissions" set to yes, new files and directories have the same
permissions as the parent directory. As far as I can tell, this only
affects new files/directories.

>If you create a new file in the directory here, is the new file owned
>by the expected user and group?

Yes.

>>I'm not sure I understand why the group is taking precendence over the
>>user permissions. If I log into the same Linux system and my
>>permissions on a given directory are 0700, I, as the user,  have full
>>access to that directory. However, this is not the behavior I'm seeing
>>when I connect via SAMBA.
>>

>Are you sure you don't have any "map to guest" option that might be
>altering the username?

I don't have any such option specifically defined. And, as mentioned
above, new files/directories are created with the proper user and group,
so as far as I can tell, the login ID is being mapped properly.

Thanks!

Eric