[Samba] Mac OS X clients not binding to a Samba+LDAP PDC

SAMBA letz_samba at realmspace.com
Thu Dec 8 14:57:25 GMT 2005

Have you configured NSS and PAM to use winbindd?

Are you trying to use a PDC or Active Directory LDAP/Kerberos?
  - PDC supports NTLM for authentication, which is old school Windows NT.
  - Active Directory supports Kerberos for authentication.

I haven't yet used the AD plug-in.  I think that the LDAP schema needs to be modified to support UNIX data like gid/uid, shell, etc.  There's an AD4Unix open source solution that I think can add the compatible schema.  The AD plug-in also I will reconfigure PAM to use Apple's module, you need to configure PAM to use SAMBA's windbindd instead.  Also before this, you must establish authentication through Kerberos, testing with kinit, and configuring Kerberos on the client. You might need to export a keytab that corresponds to a Windows service principal name(s) (user account with name that represents host client and services offered by host client) using ktpass on the Windows domain controller, and import this keybtab securing into the client that needs to access Windows domain controller.

As for Mac OS X, I am pretty sure they support the older SAMBA 2.0, which does not have support for Active Directory, other than through a PDC emulator operations masters on Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain controller.

Also, you say you are using SAMBA 3.0.20.  Did you compile this on the Macintosh?

 - Joaquin