[Samba] Problem with Winbind on Solaris for Samba 3.0.21rc2.

Security Officer mewtwo at catlover.com
Wed Dec 7 23:39:07 GMT 2005

Hello again, I have been testing Samba 3.0.21rc2 with Windows ADS support
on SPARC/Solaris 8 and 9 and am experiencing problems with winbind for
nsswitch.

Firstly, can anyone confirm this configuration this works at all?

Secondly, how did you get it to work?

I am aware of various difficulties with winbind/nsswitch on Solaris and I
thought I had done everything necessary to solve that.

My specific problem is that Samba seems to work as expected when winbind/nsswitch
is enabled but there is a side effect where any new SSH sessions are disconnected
after a couple of minutes by the server. Here is an example from log file:

|Dec  5 12:51:07 numbat sshd[7356]: [ID 800047 auth.info] Accepted publickey for mewtwo from 192.168.1.101 port 34809 ssh2
|Dec  5 12:53:02 numbat sshd[7356]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: Timeout before authentication for 192.168.1.101

I am using a very basic smb.conf file too:

# Samba config file.

[global]
         workgroup = PERTH
         realm = PERTH.LOCALDOMAIN