[Samba] Strange behavior with file/directory permissions.

Eric Michaelis combinare at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:27:09 GMT 2005

I am experiencing some odd behavior with a SAMBA server running on a
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 system.

Users are authenticating against a Windows domain, and then connecting
to their home directory shares, defined as:

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        hide unreadable = Yes
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        locking = No
        inherit permissions = Yes

If I connect to my home directory and inside there is a directory with
permissions of 0700, I can't see or access the directory.

If I change the permissions to 0750 or 0770, I'm able to see and write
to the directory (even if the group permissions forbid writing).

As far as I can tell, the SAMBA server is examining group permissions
to determine visibility, but using the user permissions to determine
actual read/write access.

I'm not sure I understand why the group is taking precendence over the
user permissions. If I log into the same Linux system and my
permissions on a given directory are 0700, I, as the user,  have full
access to that directory. However, this is not the behavior I'm seeing
when I connect via SAMBA.

Can anyone shed some light on either 1) what I have misconfigured
that's triggering this behavior, or 2) why this is occurring and if
there is a workaround?

Thanks!

Eric