[Samba] Hanging SMBD processes - Samba CRASHING

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Wed Dec 7 15:58:28 GMT 2005

Simo Sorce wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 09:50 -0500, Matt Lung wrote:
>

>>To get to the point of the problem, this server will run fine for a
>>period of time and then begin to build up SMBD processes until
>>eventually our users can no longer access shares.  The Samba server just
>>stops responding.  It does not even respond to STOP, START, or RESTART
>>commands.  Doing a RESTART on samba will look like it is restarting the
>>service, but Samba will still be in the same locked state with shares
>>still not available.  Doing a status on the service then reveals that
>>the STOP, START, or RESTART did nothing to clear out the old processes
>>or the locked files it thought it previously had opened.  We end up just
>>rebooting the server to clear everything out.  Right now we are just
>>reading through all the documentation, posts, and waiting for this to
>>happen again to hopefully capture some error in the log.  When that
>>happens I'll send more detail.
>>

>Instead of immediately restarting it you may attach a strace to the
>spinning process and tell us where it dies.
>
>Meanwhile I suggest you to check the integrity of your tdb files
>(killing with -9 may lead to corrupted tdbs and in some rare occasion
>I've seen our code spinning on corrupted files).

I checked the integrity of all the tdb files and all seemed to be ok.
There were no errors doing it so I'm assuming they are all fine.  I
guess I'll just wait until the SMBD processes take off again and crash
the server.  I'll run an strace on one of the processes to see where it
goes when that happens.

--
Matt Lung

Midwest Tool & Die, Corp.