[Samba] User Primary group problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 7 02:05:52 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 19:29 -0600, Michael Barnes wrote:
> This only makes the user a member of a group.  It does not change the
> PRIMARY GROUP of the user.
>
> Ideally, I want to set the primary group of the user at the time of user
> creation.  Lacking that, I'd like to be able to change the user's
> primary NTgroup and Unixgroup at the same time.
>
> Michael
>
> Craig White told me on 12/6/2005 18:30:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 14:08 -0600, Michael Barnes wrote:
> >
> >>How do I establish both a user's primary NTgroup and Unixgroup when
> >>creating a new user?
> >>
> >>Depending on the tool, I can set his NTgroup or his Unix group, but I
> >>don't seem to be able to establish both with one tool.
> >>

> > ----
> > man smb.conf
> >
> > Example: add user to group script = /usr/sbin/adduser %u %g

----
yeah you're probably right on that - man useradd tells me...

-g default_group
The  group name or ID for a new user’s initial group.  The named group
must exist, and a numerical group ID must have an existing entry .

thus the script

/usr/bin/adduser %u -g %g

should do it (what the heck do I know...I'm using ldap)  ;-)

Craig