[Samba] File Ownership

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Dec 6 20:17:12 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12:31, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I need all files created in a share to be owned by a defined user and
> group. For example: 'User1', 'User2' and 'User3' can all log into this
> share and create files but the files must be automatically changed to be
> owned by the 'music' user.
>
> Is this possible?

Please read the smb.conf man page and check on-line documentation before
posting requests like this. The reason so few posts get answers these days
could have something to do with the number of questions asked that do not
reflect that the person asking has done any home work before interrupting
everyone.

The smb.conf options that can be put in the share stanza are:

	force create mode
	force directory mode
	force user
	force group

In addition you should read the book "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide" chapter on File, Directory and Share Access Contols.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

- John T.