[Samba] Problem with Samba as Member of AD, Kerberos

Anastasios Papadopoulos tpapad28 at hol.gr
Mon Dec 5 21:55:24 GMT 2005

Hello all,

    I have this configuration: Samba 3.0.20 as a member server in Win2K3
AD (runs on Madrake 10.2 - no flames please ;-) ). Winbind works fine
(wbinfo etc are ok), kinit is ok (or seems ok...), and all users are
happy...
    Of course there is a BUT...
    All the above work fine as long as I use NetBIOS resolution. For
example, my server has "XXX" as a name and "YYY" as NetBIOS alias. When
I access the box as \\YYY\ or \\ip.add.re.ss\ everything is ok and
authentication is done by my PDC/BDC (both Win2K3) without popups. But
if try \\XXX\ (as registered in AD and DNS) I get a prompt for
credentials (which, of course, never get accepted...). The exact same
thing happens when I disable NetBIOS over TCP for a client and try to
access the server with any name (from the DNS-only client).
    All my clients are WinXP Pro (except one Win2K) and my 2 Win2K3 DCs.
I thought I could disable NetBIOS (and WINS on my DCs) as I read that
DNS in AD is much faster and reliable etc...
    Can anyone point me to the right direction? Or convince me that I
will not earn much if I disable NetBIOS...
    Hmm, yes, I know... If it works, don't f-u with it but I want to get
as much as I can from my network (there is A LOT of traffic to and from
the Samba box).