[Samba] net rpc vampire not working

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 4 23:31:40 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 08:31 +1100, Del wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone help me get "net rpc vampire" in one of its forms working.
>
> The objective is to migrate from an NT4 PDC to a SAMBA 3.0 PDC using
> LDAP as a back end.  I am trying to migrate the user and machine accounts
> across in a lab environment, separate from the main network (I have
> replicated the PDC to do this).
>
> I have samba-3.0.20b built from the samba team source RPM on Fedora
> Core 3, and I'm trying to follow the steps here:
>
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NT4Migration.html

----
that isn't a complete walk through and is probably leaving out some
details that you probably didn't know were necessary.

Use
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ntmigration.html

which is much more complete of a walk-through.

I would recommend that the user is familiar with setup, usage,
maintenance of LDAP prior to doing this.

Oh - yes, the net rpc vampire indeed works, I've done it a few times -
going back to 3.0.0 (and it worked then) and I doubt they've broken it
in the interim. The steps are very important. Not understanding LDAP
makes it extremely difficult to do. Get practiced at backing up your
LDAP db and restoring as the vampire process takes a number of practice
runs to get it right.

Craig