[Samba] Any downsides to using MS Services for Unix NIS server?

SAMBA letz_samba at realmspace.com
Sun Dec 4 07:57:51 GMT 2005

Other than NIS is extremely insecure, and anyone concerned with security
would not use it.  If you are using SFU, just use LDAP/Kerberos instead
of NIS.  You'll get the same results, but with more security.

You don't have to use IDMAP to have GID/UID based on SID.  You can
manually enter it yourself as per design you're your network.  Also
check out PADL NSS/PAM modules.  There's also I think some scripts for
automating migration from NIS to LDAP.