[Samba] Auditing?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 16:57:27 GMT 2005

I'm trying to enable auditing on one of my shares, to help track down
a software bug, but it isn't working.

If I use vfs objects = audit, everything is logged to syslog, but no
user or computer information is included.

If I use vfs objects = extd_audit, opendir calls are logged, but open
calls are not.  Raising the log level (as the HOWTO suggests) did not
help.

If I use vfs objects = full_audit using the example config in
modules/vfs_full_audit.c, entries are not logged in the listed format;
in fact, the output looks very similar to audit's.

My Samba logs contain the following error:
Unable to open new log file /var/log/samba/log.pctest: Permission denied
I'm not sure if this is related or not.

Suggestions?

Josh Kelley