[Samba] Samba LDAP Tools and mkntpwd

Collins, Kevin kCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Fri Dec 2 20:43:36 GMT 2005

I'm in the middle of Samba 3.0.9 ==> 3.0.14a migration testing.  Because I'm using newer tools, I am also using a newer verions of the Samba LDAP Tools.

My older version, 0.8.4, used the 'mkntpwd' utility to generate NT passwords.  The new version, 0.9.1 defaults to using (what looks like) a Perl module called Crypt::SmbHash.

My questions: Do I need to continue to use mkntpwd?  Will I need to reset all the passwords for my users if I move to Crypt::SmbHash?  Or will it "just work" if I leave the defaults alone?

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager