[Samba] locked files that shouldn't be

Joe jkonecn at green-mfg.com
Fri Dec 2 14:26:27 GMT 2005

> On 11/30/05, Joe <jkonecn at green-mfg.com> wrote:
>> > "The process cannot access the file because another process
>> > has locked a portion of the file."
>> >
>> > smbstatus does not show this file as being open and it is mode 777.
>
> It's probably a byte-range lock.  Run "smbstatus -B"; it lists locked
> files by their device and inode, so you'll need that information for
> the file you're interested in.  (Run "ls -li" on the file to get its
> inode number.)
>
> Josh Kelley

Byte range locking is not it.  Smbstatus -B showed nothing.
What I find most strange of all is that I could right click
in the same directory, create a new text file with notepad,
try to save it, and I would get the same error message about
it being locked.  This problem is gone now, it cleared up on
it's own without me doing anything.  Can't explain it.  Wish
someone could.