[Samba] Samba and netbeui

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 12:07:47 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 09:38 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 09:08 -0500, Mike Weske wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> >   There is still a use for netbeui (non-routed protocol) in the
> > network.  If you are using a VPN client that does not allow split
> > tunneling, you can still access printers on another local system with
> > netbeui.  I would like to remove the windows system and have my print
> > shares on my Linux system with Samba.
> >   Is all consideration of netbeui within the Linux/Samba environment
> > gone?  Can someone suggest another way to get printers and file shares
> > between a windows system and Linux system without TCP/IP?
>
> The closest Samba ever got to netbeui was an experimental patch that
> (from memory) accompanied the Linux kernel patch.  It was never
> accepted, because it never added a real transport independence, just
> hacks to get around Samba's attachment to TCP.

I have tested that patches last year or so, and they were too unstable
(at the kernel level) to be usable in a production environment imho.

But we may have hope to support netbeui in samba4 if we happen to have
kernel support as samba4 code should be layer independent enough to
allow we to support it easily.

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org