[Samba] Modify and backup winbindd_idmap.tdb

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Dec 1 11:52:57 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:16 +0100, Markus.Scheffknecht at t-systems.com
wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Is there a possibility to add entries to the winbindd_idmap.tdb manually?

use net idmap dump and net idmap restore to dump the db, modify it and
restore, but be extremely careful in what you do.

> I know I can use tdbdump to see the entries, but is there a chance to modify?

not with tdbdump, see above

> My problem is I have to map some uid to some Windows SID without using LDAP. On the other hand new user not having any uid in linux should map to the range of uid I defind by using
>
> idmap uid = 10000-20000
>
> 2nd Question:
>
> Is it possible to backup winbindd_idmap.tdb by just copy the file and use this file to replace in case of corruption of the original file?

no, you may have a corrup file as outcome, use tdbbackup that guarantees
a complete database traversal record by record.

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org
Italian Site  -  http://samba.xsec.it