[Samba] Samba 3 problem with unc name connections

Martin Bergien msi at volke.de
Wed Aug 31 07:32:13 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've got the following problem, since using samba version 3:

When I connect to a samba share without mapping to a drive letter, the
connection is very slow. It takes a long time, until directory listings
are updated or file copyings begin.
Everytime I try to copy a file, I get the follwing entry in the logfile:

[2005/08/31 08:46:28, 0] smbd/service.c:(797)
  hostname (ip-address) couldn't find service no_backu

The real service name ist no_backup, so the last letter of the service
name in the log file is cut off.
I think, samba  first tries to connect with no_backu (which does not
exist) and falls back to no_backup later, so I think this may be a samba
bug!?

I'm using the german version of Windows XP and I don't have an english
version, so I can't test, if the problem depends on the XP language.
Samba (3.0.20) is installed on a debian linux and on a sgi octane.

my smb.conf on the sgi octane looks like:

# Global parameters
[global]
        unix charset = iso-8859-1
        display charset = CP850
        workgroup = SAMBA
        server string = Samba %v on %h
        security = SERVER
        password server = PASSWD_SERVER
        root directory = /
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/adm/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins host
        paranoid server security = No
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = WINSNAME
        ldap ssl = no
        admin users = ME
        hosts allow = IP ADRESS RANGE/255.255.0.0

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[NO_BACKUP]
        path = /NO_BACKUP
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

When I connect the share using a drive letter, there are no problems,
but because of a software we use, it's absolutely needed to connect
without a drive letter.

Does anyone know the problem or could anyone help?

--
bye
    Martin Bergien