[Samba] XP remote requests problem

Lisa VanderAar lvanderaar at nasa.gov
Tue Aug 30 19:35:36 GMT 2005

I have a Samba (3.0.3-5) server running on a Fedora core 2-4 machine.
There are numerous XP(SP2) clients, all of which have had no problem
connecting to the shares. However at some point, some of the clients
could not connect to the share. Others can connect no problem. Nothing
changed on the linux side, but an updated security template was loaded
on the XP machines that cannot connect.

The users are able to ping the server, see the server in Network
Neighborhood, and ssh into the server. However, when they try to connect
to the shares they get the following msg... "myserver1 does not accept
remote requests"

Nothing looks odd in the nmbd and smbd log files. Further, I have a
second linux box running RedHat 9 with samba 2.2.7a. All clients are
able to access these shares, including those that can't connect to the
3.0.3-5 shares.

I am guessing that the problem lies somewhere with the combination of
the XP security updates and FC2 and/or samba 3.0.3-5. A lot of the XP
security settings were changed. (I do not admin the XP boxes.) I will
have to look through these changes, but there are a lot.

Based on my problem description, does anyone have an idea where to start
when looking through the XP security settings? Or maybe what to look for?

For info, following is the 3.0.3-5 server's smb.conf. Both servers have
the same configuration file, except of course for the server string and
the Source and Develop shares.

(...I am using server mode security and am aware that it is not
recommended. I did not initially set up samba and did not want to mess
with it when it was working. I am new to samba.)

[global]

workgroup = SWDEVELOP
server string = myserver1
hosts allow = 147.68.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
security = server
password server = grckap2 grckap1
encrypt passwords = yes
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
pam password change = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes
wins support = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers