[Samba] Renewing WINS entries

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 29 16:02:38 GMT 2005

Hi,

I may have answered my own question. I found a post
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-June/036153.html)
which says that Samba has trouble registering "INet~Services".

What I see is the name apparently getting registered with WINS correctly
on startup and then WINS no longer resolving the name 5 days later.

So what I presume is happening is that the server name is registering
correctly when Windows starts up, the INet~Services name then gets
registered later (when IIS starts?). But 5 days later both names are
registered at the same time and this fails. (Which also explains why
"nbtstat -RR" files).

So:

1. Does the above scenario sound like the explanation?

2. I can't see this being fixed any the release notes, will it get
fixed?

I guess I'm better off using Windows WINS (Broken as Designed (TM))
until Samba implements the Windows bugs correctly...

Thanks,

Leon...