[Samba] Multiple instances of samba

Eric Boehm boehm at nortel.com
Mon Aug 29 15:03:10 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:50:31AM -0500, Ed Curtis wrote:

    Ed>  I found instructions on how to start 2 instances of samba
    Ed> binding each instance to an individual ip address or interface
    Ed> on the server but it will only start the first insatnce I try.

    Ed> /usr/sbin/smbd -s /etc/samba/smb.conf.DOMAIN1
    Ed> /usr/sbin/nmbd -s /etc/samba/smb.conf.DOMAIN1
    Ed> /usr/sbin/smbd -s /etc/samba/smb.conf.DOMAIN2
    Ed> /usr/sbin/nmbd -s /etc/samba/smb.conf.DOMAIN2

    Ed> Only the DOMAIN1 will start. I get no errors when running the
    Ed> commands to start the second instance but it's not running.

    Ed>  Any ideas?

You have to make sure that you include the following:

smb.conf.DOMAIN1
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 127.0.0.1, <ip for interface 1/netmask>

smb.conf.DOMAIN2
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = <ip for interface 2/netmask>

E.g.,

smb.conf.DOMAIN1
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.2/24

smb.conf.DOMAIN2
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 192.168.2.1/24

It doesn't matter which of the two has the loopback address,
127.0.0.1, so long as only *ONE* of them has it.

In addition, you will probably want to assign a

netbios name = <hostname>

with the appropriate hostname to each config file and insert the
hostname (as appropriate) into the

lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/<hostname>/locks

and, lastly, the log file path

log file = /usr/local/samba/var/<hostname>/log.%m

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortel.com               \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail