[Samba] Samba as a domain controller for Linux workstations?

awilliam at whitemice.org awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Aug 29 14:08:15 GMT 2005

>> you dont need samba. in this case use a ldap for authentification
>> and mount the homes of each users per nfs. we use the smbldap tools
>> from idealix to manage users in ldap. i have it in our firm so and
>> it works quit nice.

We do something similiar,  our LINUX workstations and services authenticate
against and use information from an LDAP directory that is also our Samba SAM
for windows workstations.

> but then, no roaming profiles, right?
> well, one less thing to worry about :)

Well, LINUX doesn't have anything like a roaming profile for better or
worse.  Current LINUX desktop environments don't much lend themselves
to "management".

> in that case it would perhaps make more sense to use some old
> computers as terminals (+nice LCD display), than buy new ones as
> workstations?

If you have a high speed LAN LTSP works very nicely.