[Samba] How to get Samba, PAM & MS-AD all working together properly

Kevin Wilson Kevin.Wilson at comtrol.com
Fri Aug 26 17:06:30 GMT 2005

The biggest thing we have stopping us from adopting Samba-Linux 100% for our
file and print servers is permissions administration/flexibility. Does
anyone have a good resource that outlines how to get PAM working so
permissions can be managed like MS's are? Guess what I am asking is can PAM
do permissions like MS and if yes, can the be done in the same easy fashion
as 'right-click->properties', etc. ?

Also, does PAM aid in the sharing and permissions to network printers?

Please don't point me to the howto's, I've been there done that. I am
looking to see if anyone here has successfully emulated a MS file server
(and its easy ui share/permission administration) using Samba and Linux. If
not, is it possible? or would we need to use a Linux based LDAP server as
our primary domain security catalog?