[Samba] Re: net rpc rights command

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Aug 26 12:16:31 GMT 2005

Andreas Bauer wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks a lot, now testparm is running without a fault.
> But there is following error running the net rpc command:
> amd:~ # net rpc rights grant testuser10 SeMachineAccountPrivilege
> Password:
> Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
> The username or password was not correct.

I am going to assume your security model is messed up at some level. Take a look at my presentation on setting up a Samba 3 PDC for Win2K clients and see if it helps you work through the permissions
issue.

ftp://ftp.lueckdatasystems.com/pub/presentations/klugsamba3pdc-bookreview.pdf

Note that the line:
admin users = @domadmin
is now deprecated since there are these "rights grant" options. So back that out of my sample config.

Oh, and the correct syntax for granting permissions is as follows:
net rpc rights grant mydomain\\theaccount SeMachineAccountPrivilege

And you must be logged in to Linux with an account which is a member of the domain administrator group, thus you set up the accounts, groups, samba group mappings all before you can run this command
as this command will utilize that security model.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems