[Samba] Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 25 21:25:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 09:57 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> > Gémes Géza schrieb:
> >
> > (...)
> >>

> >> Unfortunately Samba4 is still not ready for production use, it misses
> >> a few things yet to be written. However it seems, that at least the
> >> initial few releases will use its own modified version of Heimdal for
> >> kerberos pruposes, and its own Ldap server.
> >
> > Does this mean that it will be impossible to use an
> > existing LDAP server with Samba4?
>
> Long term the goal is to allow Samba 4 to act as a proxy
> server for another LDAP directory service.  This could
> potentially prevents us from requiring all the AD
> syntax and matching on the target directory service.
>
> > Will it be possible to use the LDAP server which comes
> > (will come) with Samba4 for something else than Samba?
>
> The initial goal is to be able to act as an AD DC.
> After that, I think the goal is to cherry pick any necessary
> features.  I'm not sure that the intent is to have Samba 4 be an
> enterprise DC long term.

s/DC/LDAP server/

Indeed, the hope is that we can handle the DC part well, and have a
number of vendors provide compatible backends, accessible (by our code)
over LDAP.

However, I expect we will (by necessity) become a general LDAP server,
and a fairly good one at that.  Probably not a standards-compliant one
(we will have to match MS instead), but adding other (non-conflicting)
attributes and values will certainly not present a major challenge.

Andrew Bartlett