[Samba] LDAP and password expiry

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Aug 25 19:24:28 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:53 -0400, jake at capecodhomefinder.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using Samba 3.0.14a-6, slapd 2.2.26-4 and smbldap-tools 0.9.1-2 on
> Debian. My users are complaining about warnings that their password is about to
> expire and that the are told "You do not have permission to change your
> password" when they try to change it. sambaAcctFlags includes the X flag which
> I thought meant "don't expire passwords." The password changing thing has got
> me even more stumped. Can anyone offer any clues?

----
I believe that you will find the warning about the change password is
generated by local policy on the computers and not demanded by Samba.

I think Paul was hinting at a rather quirky thing in Samba 3 that gets
an error reported to the user when he changes his password that it
didn't work but on properly configured systems, that message seems to
get sent anyway, even when the password change does indeed work.

Craig