[Samba] Samba PDC, ldap or mysql????

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Thu Aug 25 17:49:07 GMT 2005

Mark Nehemiah schrieb:
> Hi all,
>        I'm under the gun to rid ourselves of the nt4 PDC which we
> currently use.  options are A/D, samba, pgina.  I really dig pgina,
> but dont think I can pass citrix credentials properly :(  So I'm
> left with samba vs A/D.  A/D is well,, ummmmm   A/D, so tyring to
> avoid it.
>
> Currently have used Samba file servers for years.
> Have played with Samba PDC with2.2
>
> Now, going to try Samba3 pdc.  Have about 300 users.
>
> I'd really like to understand the advantages/disadvantages of ldap vs
> mysql for backend.  Would like our other *windows admins* to be able to
> add users,machines,groups etc. easily.

LDAP would be a wiser choice.
It's widely supported, well described, and there are many tools for that.

For adding users, groups, machines, your Windows admins can use LAM -
LDAP Account Manager - http://lam.sf.net - it's a nice web-based tool,
where you can define pretty everything when it comes to users, groups
etc. (logon hours, scripts etc.).

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org