[Samba] What does this error message mean?

Don samba at geeksrus.ca
Thu Aug 25 17:07:50 GMT 2005

I am also getting these errors.  From my reading of the archives it
seems to me that these errors are usually blamed on either :

a) faulty network hardware or
b) reverse DNS issues

Can someone who knows confirm any other common causes for these errors?

I'm frustrated because I'm not using DNS, I'm using "host lmhosts bcast"
and my server is using NIS and has a full /etc/hosts listing for all
hosts on the internal network, so I can't see DNS being the problem.  As
well, I've checked 'ifconfig' on my server and another linux box from
which I've been doing tests and they both say 0 errors and 0 dropped.
I'm not sure how else I should be verifying my network.

These errors seem to be fairly common, given how much they are
reported.  So, yeah, I'd sure like to solve them too.

Mine appear to happen about every 30 minutes very repeatably... in my
log for this morning, for example, I have these errors appearing at
3:23, 3:54, 4:26, 4:58, 5:31, 6:02, 6:34, 7:06... its every 32 minutes
or so... makes me feel like I'm in a battlestar galactica episode.

Don