[Samba] Samba 4

Cédric CACHAT lsf at noos.fr
Thu Aug 25 11:48:55 GMT 2005

Hello,

this is the first time I write to the samba list and I hope my question
is not off topic.
I want to set up a samba server to replace an Active Directory for my
Windows workstations.
So far, I have a LINUX network that works perfectly, all my users are
stored in a LDAP server and their authentication is done against a MIT
Kerberos server. Hence all users have a valid kerberos ticket when they
log onto a machine in the Network.
I want to include my Windows machines inside my linux network. From what
I understood, Samba can fake an AD so Windows authentication at login is
done against the Samba server.
I think only Samba 4 allows this process, so here we go with the questions:
- when is samba 4 stable version due (with a good howto)? I was extatic
when I found http://samba.iasi.roedu.net/docs/man/Samba4-HOWTO/ but was
disapointed when I found out it was yet to be written!
- can Samba use my existing LDAP & Kerberos servers to authenticate
users? From what I saw, Samba 4 has an imbedded LDAP server and I
couldn't figure out how to point to my own server. But I'm ain't no genius!
- I ran a few test with Samba 4 but I couldn't activate a user account
so a smbclient command shows
Connection to \\masterfiler\data failed - NT_STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED

Hope somebody knows the answers to those questions, and I hope I was
clear enough. If such is not the case, don't hesitate to ask me for some
more information.

Thanks

Cédric