[Samba] wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

Kevin Wilson Kevin.Wilson at comtrol.com
Wed Aug 24 21:56:16 GMT 2005

Yep. We are dealing with once perfectly fine working 3.0.9 servers to
erratic and weird behaved ones. We believe this is due to changes made my MS
in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-042.mspx but thus
far have not been able to confirm.

Commands like: 	net rpc join -S PDC -U <Admin>

now return "no suitable server found" even though that is the same command
used when we setup the darn thing and it worked then.

Bottom line is our samba member machines didn't change but "security
updates" to our PDC, master browser, etc. were done last week and that is
when the problems started.

Use of wbinfo is very erratic, most of the time the users and groups list
won't pull down. The -m option doesn't report the primary domain we belong
to, etc. After a service restart or a machine reboot nobody can access the
shares then after some magical period of time (an hour) you check and then
you can access them but sometimes you can't. Usually I restart winbind and
wait then I can sometimes get into the shares after the second attempt.