[Samba] samba pakage update

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Aug 24 14:58:25 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 08:12, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Andreas Bauer schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to update my samba server 3.0.7 - Suse 9.2 pro.
> > Before I' m destroying my whole smb/ldap configuration,
> > I ask the NG.
> > Can I use an 3.0.13 rpm samba, samba-client package?
>
> Why 3.0.13 if 3.0.20 is there?
> You can even download binary packages for SuSE from www.samba.org.

Correct.

> > And what's about the smb.conf after updating?
>
> Generally, you don't need to change anything in smb.conf file.

Correct.

> Remember to backup first, just in case :)

Wowa! Slow down a little. There have been some schema changes during the
samba-3 series. Where LDAP is in use, do not forget to take appropriate
action to rebuild the LDAP directory.

My way, which I am sure even a novice can improve upon, is to follow the
following procedure:

1. Dump the LDAP directory:
	slapcat -v -l foobar.ldif
2. Backup the smb.conf file and ALL the tdb files
3. Update/Upgrade Samba
4. Stop LDAP
5. Delete the LDAP directory database files
6. Install the updated the samba.schema file
7. Re-load the directory database
	slapadd -v -l foobar.ldif
8. Change ownership of all LDAP directory files to the user and group that
slapd runs as.
9. Deal with any other changes needed for the upgrade/update
10. Restart LDAP and Samba

Read the WHATSNEW.txt file that ships with Samba-3 and with most binary RPMs.
With the binary RPMs this file should get located
in /usr/share/doc/packages/samba. The WHATSNEW.txt file is your best guide to
what may need to be updated. It will take you a while to read through it.

Also, refer to the documentation in the book "Samba-3 by Example", Second
edition. It is available in print and on-line from:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

Chapter 8 deals with Samba upgrades and updates.

- John T.