[Samba] Home dir read-only using ADS

samba.20.burkml at spamgourmet.com samba.20.burkml at spamgourmet.com
Tue Aug 23 22:35:48 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a Samba (3.0.14a) server on Linux (Fedora 4) that is a member
of an ADS domain. I used be able to mount my home dir on my Windows XP
machine and read and write to the dir. Something changed, and now I
can only read from the share, unless the permissions are wide open
(777 on the dir or 666 on a file). So I can't add, change, or delete
files, but I can read them. The username mapping seems to work, except
for the permissions. I'm also running winbindd.

I think I understand the interactions between Windows and Linux
security options, and have no problems working with them in explicitly
named shares. My assumption is that the username mapping should let me
avoid having to set the group on my home dir to my Windows group, or
something like that. Is that correct?

Here are the relevant config files. "12345" is my Windows login ID
(all numeric). I also changed the company name in this listing to
example.com.

smb.conf (from testparm):

[global]
        workgroup = AM
        realm = AM.EXAMPLE.COM
        server string = Samba Server
        security = ADS
        password server = 10.1.222.22
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 5
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 10240
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 10.1.222.22, 10.1.17.133
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        hosts allow = 10.1., 10.2., 10.127., 127.
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = burkm, AM\12345