[Samba] how does Samba work with two network devices?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Tue Aug 23 10:47:43 GMT 2005

I have a Samba/LDAP server that functions as a PDC.

It has an onboard network card that seems to malfunction sometimes, so
another network card was added.
I don't want to remove this first (broken?) card from the server's
configuration, as any failure would force me to drive 500 km... :)

So now this server has two IP addresses (192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3) and
two network cards connected to the same switch/LAN.

How will it work now?
Is it a good choice, or things will break now, as the clients will be
confused about the right IP of the server?

Which IP will the clients use?
What if one IP is unavailable/slow - will the clients try to connect to
the other IP?

--
Tomek
http:/wpkg.org