[Samba] Something Strange in NET Mapping Going On Here.

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Mon Aug 22 23:03:04 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 02:56:14PM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
>
>>On Monday 22 August 2005 14:50, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>I was poking around on my Windows mapping and was able to map a network
>>>drive like:
>>>
>>>C:> net use P: \\172.16.0.1\lonnie
>>>
>>>The Samba logs on my server say "....connected to resource lonnie as
>>>user lonnie....."
>>>
>>>This seemed to be normal as I seem to remember logging in at one time
>>>long ago.
>>>
>>>The strange thing is that I just tried:
>>>
>>>C:> net use P: \\172.16.0.1\luke
>>>
>>>This actually connected and mapped a network drive to this account wich
>>>belongs to another one of our developers and the Samba logs say
>>>"....connected to resource luke as user lonnie....."
>>>
>>>Based upon my understanding I should NOT be able to map into someone
>>>elses home directory, right?
>>>
>>>How can I fix this?
>>
>>Set permissions on users directories so that only the user has access. This is
>>a file system permissions issue.
>

> No, the common way of fixing this is to add :
>
> valid users = %S
>
> into the [homes] share definition. We've been advising that for years.

No, if you do that, in AD for instance, trying to set the home directory
with user manager for domains will return an error that the administrator
doesn't have permission and one has to cancel without setting the home
directory.
There needs to be another way.
It use to be that [homes] would only map to the current user.
When the authentication of ipc$ changed, the cached shares were forgotten.
Now, on a quick change in user logons, the prior user share stays
cached and they accumulate.

Regards, Doug