[Samba] StandAlone Server dont appear on win98 network neighbourhood

allmoto allmoto allmotofun at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Aug 22 18:33:40 GMT 2005

Hi everyone:

I m having problems making samba work as a standalone
server, it doesnt appear on the microsoft win98
network neigh. Let me describe my network a little,
cos its a little more complex than usual.

1.- Firewall with 3 ethernet adapters, the one that
handles my internal network has IP 192.168.1.1, the
firewall permit any communication within internal
terminals. And the ethernet that handles the DMZ
server with IP 192.168.2.1.

2.- NT4 PDC, that handles authentications, for
internal domain "SECDOM". IP 192.168.1.10

3.- Internal network terminals that use IP
192.168.1.20  to 192.168.1.90

4.- Mandrake 10.1 Server box, with 1 fisical ethernet
IP 192.168.2.2 and 2 virtual ethernets 192.168.2.3 and
.4. This box, serves http, smtp, mysql and hopefully
samba servers. For a sake of easy organization, i bind
samba to use one virtual eth for his own that would be
IP 192.168.2.4.

Now, let me show you the basic smb.conf im using:

# smb.conf(5)
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

workgroup = SECDOM
netbios name = Servidor Linux
server string = Samba Server %v

#printcap name = cups
#load printers = no
#printcap cache time = 60
printing = cups

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
log level = 10

# 4. Security and Domain Membership Options:

hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255
map to guest = bad user
security = user
#allow trusted domains = yes
#password server = 192.168.1.10
valid users = john, brent, james, cindy
#password level = 8
#username level = 8
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
#username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# winbind uid is the range of uid's winbind can use
when mapping RIDs to uid's
#  idmap uid = 10000-20000
#
# winbind gid is the range of uid's winbind can use
when mapping RIDs to gid's
#  idmap gid = 10000-20000
#
# winbind separator is the character a user must use
between their domain
# name and username, defaults to "\"
#  winbind separator = +
#
# winbind use default domain allows you to have
winbind return usernames
# in the form user instead of DOMAIN+user for the
domain listed in the
# workgroup parameter.
# winbind use default domain = yes
#
# template homedir determines the home directory for
winbind users, with
# %D expanding to their domain name and %U expanding
to their username:
#  template homedir = /home/%D/%U

# When using winbind, you may want to have samba
create home directories
# on the fly for authenticated users. Ensure that
/etc/pam.d/samba is
# using 'service=system-auth-winbind' in pam_stack
modules, and then
# enable obedience of pam restrictions below:
#  obey pam restrictions = yes

#
# template shell determines the shell users
authenticated by winbind get
#  template shell = /bin/bash

# 5. Browser Control and Networking Options:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
interfaces = 192.168.2.4
#bind interfaces only = no

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here

#remote browse sync = 192.168.1.255
#remote announce = 192.168.1.10

local master = no
os level = 34
domain master = no
preferred master = no

# 6. Domain Control Options:
domain logons = no

# 7. Name Resolution Options:

name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
#wins server = 192.1.1.10
#wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = no

# 8. File Naming Options:

#  preserve case = no
#  short preserve case = no
#  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break
things!
#  case sensitive = no

==============================
[homes]