[Samba] Windows Network Drive Mapping Configs

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Aug 22 16:02:55 GMT 2005

Hello All,

Currently, I have been testing my Samba configuration and all seems to
be working properly.

Now I need to make a few changes.

We will be executing a batch file after our VPN software completes and
establishes the connection to our Samba server so that it will
automatically map a network drive for the user.

Without this then I am currently mapping, from windows  like:

NET USE * \\172.16.0.1\lonnie  /PERSIST:NO      (for example)

and it maps a drive into "lonnie" home directory on Samba.

What I would like to do is something like:

NET USE * \\172.16.0.1  /PERSIST:NO

what will popup a login/password window for the user to enter their
Samba information and then map the network drive after that.

The last thing would be to remove the mapped drive before we close our
VPN connection.

Can anyone please help to tell me what I might need to do in my Samba
config to make this work?

Thanks,
Lonnie