[Samba] Cannot compile 3.0.x on Solaris 9

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Aug 22 12:51:25 GMT 2005

> Dear list,
>
> is there anyone who successfully compiled a Samba 3.0.X on a Solaris 9
> box?

Yep, quite a bit actually.  I've posted numerous environment things you may
need to the list also.

> I tried severl versions of Samba 3.0.* on five rather differently
> configured Solaris 9 boxes (Sparc) and ALWAYS get a build error
> on dynconfig.c
What compiler?

> Sometimes it seems to be a missing ldap-preprocessor define (which is
> protested by the compiler although I configured --with-ldap=NO),
> sometimes it is a header file missing alltogether, such as

Is NO a valid option?  I see 'no', --without-XXXX and possibly
--disable-XXXX, as options, but I don't know about NO.

> Compiling dynconfig.c
> In file included from include/smb.h:1718,
>                  from include/includes.h:877,
>                  from dynconfig.c:21:
> include/popt_common.h:24:18: popt.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [dynconfig.o] Error 1
>
> but compilation never goes beyond dynconfig.c

I can't remember where exactly this was, but I'd bet it was in your env
settings.  Could you post your active environment variables and also the
output of crle?

> Having spent three days on fixing this problem I am increasingly
> convinced that the build process for Solaris 9 has a major problem.
>
> I would be happy for a pointer to a binary distribution as well.

Sunfreeware hosts a 3.0.10 set if you're looking for a non-ldap binary
version.  Yes it's old, but it's an option.