[Samba] Move Samba to another server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 21 21:37:14 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 22:15 +0200, Kit Gerrits wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am intending to install a new server and migrate all my data to it (the
> server was severely underpowered and the O/S needed to be upgraded anyway).
>
> Now, I need to move the user database and Samba Server.
>
> I can easily move the data and (kinda) re-create the users, but I don't know
> what data needs to be migrated to the new server?
> It would be nice to migrate things like Profiles, et al.
> Would it be better to create a new domain or should I build the new server
> next to the old one.

The best option is to copy the whole lot - every Samba TDB (but
particularly secrets.tdb, passdb.tdb), every user directory, as well as
the system user database (if using /etc/passwd, just the non-system
entries).

If you are a DC, then it should just 'drop in', once you get the users
back in place.

Andrew Bartlett