[Samba] DFS question

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Sat Aug 20 15:47:50 GMT 2005

Was wondering if someone could tell me if this is correct.  I want to
set up some DFS shares.  I have 3 servers with SAMBA/LDAP on them.  My
first is basically my PDC and the other two are my BDCs.  I assume that
I will have to set all of this up on each server, so that no matter
which server catches the logon, the logon script will get run.  Also, if
one of the servers was to go down for a bit, the other two could still
handle logons and some of the directories would be available.

Each server has:

Need to add these to samba:

[global]
	host msdfs = yes
[teacher]
	path = /export/teachers
	msdfs root = yes

[student]
	path = /export/students
	msdfs root = yes

Create these directories and add the links in each like so (shares are
already there):

/export/teachers
ln -s msdfs:bes-serve\\bes elemstudents
ln -s msdfs:bms-serve\\bms midstudents
ln -s msdfs:bhs-serve\\bhs highstudents
ln -s msdfs:bes-serve\\teachpublic teacherspublic
ln -s msdfs:bes-serve\\lemburg lemburger
ln -s msdfs:bes-serve\\school elemteachers
ln -s msdfs:bms-serve\\school midteachers
ln -s msdfs:bhs-serve\\school highteachers

/export/students
ln -s msdfs:bes-serve\\bes elemstudents
ln -s msdfs:bms-serve\\bms midstudents
ln -s msdfs:bhs-serve\\bhs highstudents

Logonscript would contain:

teacher.bat
net use T: \\b?s-serve\teacher  (where the ? is either e,m or h
depending on which server the script is run)

student.bat
net use S: \\b?s-serve\student  (where the ? is either e,m or h
depending on which server the script is run)

I was just wanting to get confirmation on this before I enter it all on
my servers.
Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.