[Samba] Urgent - Password Migration from WINNT 4.0 to Samba-LDAP

haroon anwaar haroonanwaar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 08:39:07 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am working on migrating WINNT 4.0 Domain to Samba. User information
is being stored in LDAP. I have done test migration and works fine. I
can migrate users, groups and machine accounts. But, after migrating I
have seen that it does migrate sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword fields
but it does not migrate userPassword(unix password) field. For all my
users, in the user password field, it has got the same password which
is "e2NyeXB0fXg=" which does not look right.

Is there any way, userPassword field can be updated with the correct
entry  while performing migration or immidiately after the migration.
I got around 1200 users in my PDC and I want to make this migration
without affecting users. I can re-set the passwords using
smbldap-passwd but its a big pain to contact every user asking for
their passwords.

All the test migration have been done by following instructions on a
document available on Samba by Example
(http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ntmigration.html#id2584506).

Any one's help in solving this issue is higly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Haroon