[Samba] Printer install confusion

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 23:06:20 GMT 2005

I have a windows NT4 client with a deskjet printer.  I can connect to
the printer using cups without any problem.   I have also been able to
make a printer share where I can connect to it via a W2K client by
 Then I created another share with the raw feed setting and tried to
load the drivers to the Samba Server via the Windows APW.  When I
initially did this everything appeared to work fine. Until I went to
another W2K client, when I clicked on the printer share it asked me if I
wanted windows to set it up, I clicked yes and everything seemed to work
fine.  Then I tried to go to properties and  received the error message
"Function address 0xXXXXX caused a protection fault (exception code
0xc0000005). Some or all of the property pages may not be displayed".
I then looked around and found some info that this was a problem with
Samba 3.0.0 that was fixed in 3.0.1.  Found 3.0.10 and installed it.
Created a new printer share and tried to install the drivers, now at the
very end of the installation I get an error message
"Explorer.exe has generated error and will be closed by Windows. You
will need to restart the program".
When I go to properties for that printer share and try to load the
printer I get the same error message as before with 3.0.0 installed.

I have checked the drivers in /etc/samba/drivers/3 and they all appear
to be there ( I compared the files to those on the "Windows 2000 Printer
Test Page").   Should I delete the drivers and try again?  What would be
the best way to delete the drivers?  There is also a shared printer that
is still showing which I had deleted in cups, but it is still there.
What would be the method for making sure this is properly deleted( I had
about 3 others which I created and deleted during this testing and they
do not show up anymore ).