[Samba] Error joining domain

Leen Toelen toelen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:54:53 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have run a Linux machine as a windows domain client for a while. One
time the windows 2000 domain server went down while the linux box kept
running. Since then I am unable to login using winbind. I tried
re-adding the linux machine without any success, I constantly get
errors like this:

#net join -U administrator
administrator's password:
[2005/08/18 16:48:52, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(147)
  kerberos_kinit_password administrator at PEAKADILLY.LOCAL failed:
Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm
[2005/08/18 16:48:52, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(186)
  ads_connect: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm
Joined domain MYDOMAIN.

The command runs without any progress for a minute or so and then
gives the error message. Yet logging it still does not work.

If I do
#net rpc join -U administrator
I instantly get 'Joined domain MYDOMAIN.' but it still does not work.

I have put the domain controller in /etc/hosts and can ping it without
problems. smbclient -L //mycontroller also runs fine after
authenticating.

Anyone knows what might be causing this problem?

Regards,
Leen Toelen