[Samba] Beginners help

Pieterjan Heyse pieterjan.heyse at scheppers-wetteren.be
Thu Aug 18 09:59:35 GMT 2005

Hello folks,

Today I have picked up samba again after years of neglection :) I want
to be able to integrate our linux boxes in out windows domain. There
are 2 reasons for this. The first reason is backup purposes. I want to
be able to access some directories on my unix boxes to copy/backup
files to my windows boxes. Until now, the linux boxes gzipped and
ftp'd the zip files to the windows boxes, but the data on the linux
boxes is becoming too much to use this method. The method makes
incremental backups impossible, too.

Thus I want to be able to access my linux harddisks from a windows
(xp) pc in our domain. Only 1 user account should be able to access
the linux boxes. Can someone advise on the easiest way to do this ? Is
it necessary that I make my linux boxes a domain member server
(security = DOMAIN) ? Do I have to use winbindd ?

The second reason why I want to use samba for is not important,
because I will be using the linux boxes as a client and smbmount will
dot he trick.

If someone would be so kind to advise me on the question, I'd greatly
appreciate this.

Thanks a lot,
Pieterjan

ICT Coördintor KSGWL - Scheppersinstituut
Scheppersinstituut Wetteren
Cooppallaan 128
9230 Wetteren
Tel: 09 3692072