[Samba] samba-ldap

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Thu Aug 18 01:32:43 GMT 2005

Well, I am still having problems with my samba server.  For some reason,
I cannot add all of the users in.  I am running a batch useradd program.
  I can get about 450 or so added in, then it gives me an error that the
user does not exist  when I go to add the last 60 or so.

My batch program actually reads in the users name and then does
something like:

/opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -a -u 1000 -G bes,bhs bobbyb
then it echos the passwd to /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-passwd to set the
password

Here is what I get on output on my last batch:

/opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-passwd:  user bobbyb doesn't exit

It is like it did not do the first line to create the user, so it cannot
update the password.

I am at a loss, and needed this going today.  If I do a 'getent passwd',
it only shows me so many users, but they are actually there.  I can
logon with the others that are not show.  If I do an 'id username' of a
user that getent does not show, it shows me the information.

I remember having a problem similiar to this last year, which ended up
being one of my groups had too many members.  I guess the line length
got too long, so I had to break the group up.  I don't know if this is
the problem or not.  If so, I do not know how to remedy it, since the
users are all automatically added into the 'Domain Users' group.

Any idea why these users would not show up with the getent, but they are
there and what would cause samba to quit accessing
--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.