[Samba] Slow browsing from Win2k and WinXP

Chuck Theobald chuckt at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 18 00:24:03 GMT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

Just got back to the samba list and saw your post.  Thank you for the heads
up.  Oddly, my slow browsing issues seem to have just gone away.  I do not
have any such delays and have not heard further complaints from the staff,
so I am hypothesizing that something of the sort you mentioned in Windows
got flushed out after a week or so.  I did follow up on your lead and did
indeed find some old items in the registry, though they appear to be not
interfering with browsing, at least at this time.

Thanks,
Chuck

At 06:04 PM 8/9/2005, you wrote:
>See David Beck's post "Samba - XP performance problem" dated 8/8 and my
>reply dated 8/9.
>
>--Jonathan Johnson
>
>Chuck Theobald wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have Samba 3.0.14a + OpenLDAP 2.2.24 installed on Solaris 8 as a PDC
>>for serving files only (no profiles, no printing).  Performance of
>>network browsing is slow in Windows 2000 and XP, taking 10-15 seconds to
>>open and display the contents of a folder.  The same browsing activity
>>from a Mac works fine with no unacceptable delays.  I'm trying to sell
>>Samba here, but these delays are not helping.  Any suggestions on
>>diagnosing this would be appreciated.  smb.conf to follow.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Chuck

Chuck Theobald
System Administrator
The Robert and Beverly Lewis Center for Neuroimaging
University of Oregon
P: 541-346-0343
F: 541-346-0345