[Samba] Post 3.0.9 Win9X Domain Logon Problems

Ade Fewings ade at bangor.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 16:36:21 GMT 2005

Hi all,

We have Samba 3 up to and including 3.0.9 working fine using LDAP for
the backend.  XP and 9X logons work fine.  On upgrading to newer
versions (inc. 3.0.11, 3.0.14a and tried 3.0.20), in the same
configuration, 9X logons stop working properly - they authenticate, but
fail to get information such as groups and user's full name.  XP still
works fine.

We use KIX for our logon scripts and I have observed that the new Samba
gives a different result to the KIX test script than the old one.  When
running the KIX test script, our working build reports 'USER' privileges
and has all the user details available.  The non-working, newer samba
reports 'GUEST' privileges and is missing a lot of the user details.
I'm guessing this is, at least, a big sign over the problems we are
having but have spent some time experimenting and basically fiddling
with things in hope of success, but without any.

I am not the only one to suffer from this, however.  A friend of mine
who operates a separate local network that was built completely
separately and without any commonality (both done from the ground-up
using Samba docs, etc.) has the same problems.  We both now have the
same problems.  Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Both networks are based on Solaris on Sparc servers, but the other
network has also tried FreeBSD on x86 and found exactly the same
problems.  OpenLDAP on the backend in both cases.

Am finding this seriously frustrating now, so would really appreciate
any ideas - I can't believe there can be two occurrences of this problem
locally but nobody else would find it globally.  And, if it turns out to
be something i've done stupid, then i'm now prepared to accept that and
cope with the shame, just as long as it gets better!

Thanks in advance
Ade