[Samba] Samba and User Mode Linux

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Aug 17 15:09:33 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:36:18PM +0200, Dirk.Laurenz at fujitsu-siemens.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone experiences with uml and sambe, escpacially running
> multiple uml instances with one samba instance in each uml instance?
>
> Please tell me your experiences...

If it stays calm with the responses, then check Xen

 (  Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86 that supports execution of
multiple guest operating systems with unprecedented levels of
performance and resource isolation. Xen is Open Source software,
released under the terms of the GNU General Public License. We have a
fully functional ports of Linux 2.4 and 2.6 running over Xen, and
regularly use it for running demanding applications like MySQL, Apache
and PostgreSQL. Any Linux distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake)
should run unmodified over the ported OS. )

The graphics at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/performance.html
indicate that Xen performs better then UML.

Cheers
Geert Stappers