[Samba] Re: Windows C# unable to access Samba directories.

PC pchesnut at cox.net
Wed Aug 17 12:18:13 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison <jra <at> samba.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 11:20:56PM -0400, PC wrote:
> > We have written a program which queries Windows mounted drives (including
> > Samba mounts) for files and directories.
> >

> > The program cannot find folders which are not owned by the user who spawned
> > the application.  The user belongs to the group (owner - group - others)
> > with rw permissions and can locate all files and folders via Windows
> > Explorer.
> >

> > It appears that Samba is unable to resolve the group permission for some
> > windows applications.
> >

> > A similar problem can also be demonstrated when using Windows Offline files
> > / folder capability on a Samba mounted drive.  Synchronizing offline file
> > will fail unless all files and folders are owned by  the user who spawned
> > the application.
>
> Can you send out the code/binary for the application with help on how
> to reproduce the problem so we can test this for you ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Jeremy.

We created a sample program which illustrates the Windows C# unable to access
Samba directories. It is a quick project w wrote to demo reading subfolders
and files.  Build the program located under HART Technologies/SambaDemo using
visual studio.net or run the included .exe directly.

If anyone is interested in troubleshooting the problem, let me know and I'll
send you the sample code.

Navigate using the browse function to a directory on a mounted samba drive.
Select Ok to close the browse window; the program window should display a list
to the sub directories and files.  If only one subfolder exists under the
selected directory, the program returns “.”

I have determined the problem occur when browsing to a folder with only one
subfolder.  The program returns “.” If you browse to a folder with only one
subfolder and will return a complete list of folders if there are 2 or more
subfolders.

This problem occurs on Samba 3.0.14a running on Redhat ES4 from installed RH9
rpm packages.

PC