[Samba] missing tcp-ack in samba transfers

Peter Menzebach pm-smb at mw-itcon.de
Wed Aug 17 07:52:57 GMT 2005

Hi,
I am not shure if I am correct on this list, but maybe someone can give
me a pointer...

We are running an samba server (3.0.10) on linux (2.6.12.5). Wenn we
copy a file from a workstation to the server, we have *very* bad
throughput, since we have tcp retransmissions.
These retransmissions are causes by a missing tcp-ack, which is not sent
by the linux server.

This happens occasionally but if, then it happens every time at the last
tcp packet of an "Write andX Request" (total about 60k bytes in 40 tcp
packets). Here the ack for the last tcp packet is not sent by the
server. I cannot see the ack with ethereal. So, it is lost in the
server, not on the network...

The problem exists, since we upgraded to gigabit ethernet and happens
only, if the file is sent from a machine, which has gigabit ethernet
too. I cannot see such a problem, if I use ftp.

I hope, someone can give me a pointer...

Best regards
Peter