[Samba] EFS crypted files and smbclient.

lahaye at crm.mot.com lahaye at crm.mot.com
Tue Aug 16 15:24:29 GMT 2005

Unfortunately it's not that simple.
The file is encrypted at FS level: using a share will not let the file to be
read. Even on windows. (You get a permission denied).
Having the erroro correctly handled would allow to continue my file readings
(via backuppc) instead of a timeout error.

Just right click on a file that is shared: click on properties / advanced
and check "crypt". Then try to read it remlotely.
It will faile. You even cannot copy the crypted file.
So 2 solutions: either correctly handle the error (perm denied (reported
when trying to access via a real windows system))
Or if implemented by windows, being able to use the certificate to read the
file (probably not possible though).

Regards.

Olivier.