[Samba] Re: Getting Winbind IDMAP into LDAP?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Aug 16 14:46:45 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 04:27, gints neimanis wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I thnik it is not the error in documentation (I don't know about which
> chapter we are talking :)).

I have reviewed the documentation on IDMAP in LDAP and it looks to me like
something got deleted from the documentation sources somewhere in the editing
cycle. That is why I would like to know precisely what version and section of
the documentation has been referred to. I will fix any weaknesses, or lack of
clarity, that can be uncovered.

> If you use winbdind authentication (+ idmap/ldap) only, you don't need
> the NSS_LDAP.

Correct.

> But if you build a domain, where all user data is stored in LDAP, then
> you may authenticate users (from *nix) directly to LDAP database - and
> then you should use the NSS_LDAP (and Windows clients are using
> (SAMBA)Domain authentication. .... And the Samba guides are more
> explaining how to build the full Samba domain with LDAP backend.

Correct.

Cheers,
John T.