Samba benchmarking tools - was Re: [Samba] Slow sequential write on Samba drive

Don samba at geeksrus.ca
Mon Aug 15 23:59:51 GMT 2005

Hi all,

So... I still have this problem with slow write speed to a particular
linux samba server from a Win XP box.  I have a different linux samba
server that this doesn't happen.  All details have been posted to this
thread but if  any helpful souls want me to re-summarize I'll be happy
to :)

I'd still like to try to attack this problem.  I have a particular tool
(this www.passmark.com download) that I am using to test the write speed
from the Win XP box.  What I'd like to know is how do other people out
there benchmark their samba systems to verify its working correctly as
far as performance goes?  Is there any code out there to do this kind of
benchmarking, either Linux or Windows?

I have several linux boxes and windows boxes that I can use to test.
What I'm wondering I'd like to do is narrow down the problem.  I.e.
discover the performance against servers with different installations
and different hardware.  It could be the problem I'm running into is a
hardware problem, but I'd just like to find some tools that could help
me narrow that down.

Thanks in advance,
Don